Power of Attorney

If you become seriously ill, disabled, or injured and cannot handle your money and affairs, then under Oregon law, someone must have special authority to act for you. This special authority is almost always created by a document of some kind. This document must be written and signed by you before you need assistance and cannot be authorized by you after you have lost the ability to understand and manage your own affairs. The most common document granting this authority is called a power of attorney.